Old Lighthouse

Old Lighthouse
Outer Banks USA

Monday, January 12, 2009

      This morning I am again thinking about the facts concerning God and my place in this thing we call life. Does the God I think of really exist? I am not saying, is there a God? I am asking is God the God I have been taught he is.       My first hurdle is the teaching that I am made after his image and I know that I could never send my children to hell.   My first thought is that I do not have anything in me that is drawn to a God or anyone who has the potential to do such a thing.  So I wander, am I doomed or is there another God other than the one I have in my mind.            My dealings with God have always centered around his unconditional love for me.  I can not love myself any more than I feel God loves me. That has always been at the center of my spiritual problems.  I feel about myself how I think God feels about me.  For the most part that has been a very dark road.  Until now I have just stuffed it and played pretend.  I was in the middle of people who claimed you can obtain a perfect walk in Gods eyes.  What does that mean?   People say that this means God holds you to what you know.   If this is true then why are people so hung up on what others doing.   I can't even take care of my own stuff how do people find time to judge others?  I think God looks down and says, "What are you doing. I have shown you the beam in your own eye and your picking at that other persons splinter."  It is refreshing to talk to people who are going thru what I have.  I have never been able to claim that I have lived like God wanted me to.   God has given me a very defined target and that target is way, way off.        I can't think about how far I am away from my target.  I just have to get up each day and take a shot.   It feels like I like I am shooting at a target with my little Bow and Arrow and I look out and I can not even see the target.  All I can do is aim as good as I can and let it rip.  The nice thing is every day I get to step up a little closer to my target, That is, if I decide to take another shot.  I haven't even put one on the target yet let alone hit a bulls eye.  I am getting better every day. Not as much my aim but making the decision to take another shot today.  I have learned that my aim only gets better with practice and instruction from others who have been there before me.  I now give credit to those who TRY.  I am so ashamed that I use to judge people by outward things.  God tells us the most important things are on the inside and guess what.  We do not have the skills to see that part of a person.  Its like men have come up with outward things and rules that they think shows them what's on the inside.  This is not possible. 
      I have been in management for years now and I see the same thing in industry.  When the people are not doing things management has instructed the boss will try to figure out what the problem is.  It could be that the worker needs something you can not see unless you talk to him and he or she lets you INSIDE.   Cracking down on this employee about the outward stuff like being on time or starting your job as directed will do nothing to help production. The problem is something you can not see.  The problem is most bosses say "I told them to do this or that and they did not listen so they can hit the road."   The sad thing is the Boss has no idea what the real problem is.   If that employee would have followed the bosses advice and conformed to his commands the boss would have thought, "What a good employee, he is OK on the inside because he followed my instructions.  The fact is the employee is still broken and needs help but the Boss thinks everything is OK.    He is fooled by his own rules.  He probably thought if the employee follows my outward rules that means everything is good on the inside.  NO.   It may show that this person is playing the game.  It is so much easer to play along.  The employee gets by with murder on everything else as long as he conforms to the RULES.  All this produces are foolish men who THINK there in charge and a bunch of hypocrites trying to fit in.                                I am trying to live life like a road trip.  No I am not at my final destination but I am making decent time considering the traffic.  Instead of beating myself up every day for not being there yet I give myself credit for the progress I have made.                                                                    I end with one question.  What did Jesus mean when he told us to be like him. Is that possible? Did he mean to strive to be like him? If this is what he was saying do we have to except the fact that we will never be just like him.  Is the fact that you get up every day and strive to be like him but never reaching that goal a total success?   

10 comments:

  1. A lot of your thoughts have paralled(sp?) with my own thoughts. Sometimes I feel I can write down my thoughts better than I came speak them. And then there are other times, like now, that I am not even sure if I can get my thoughts out for ppl to undertand. My thoughts lately have centered around "judging others". I can't even get it all out of my mind on to paper or onto the computer screen without my mind going to and fro on different thoughts. I like what you said about:

    "If this is true then why are people so hung up on what others doing. I can't even take care of my own stuff how do people find time to judge others? I think God looks down and says, "What are you doing. I have shown you the beam in your own eye and your picking at that other persons splinter." It is refreshing to talk to people who are going thru what I have."

    And:

    "I have learned that my aim only gets better with practice and instruction from others who have been there before me. I now give credit to those who TRY. I am so ashamed that I use to judge people by outward things. God tells us the most important things are on the inside and guess what. We do not have the skills to see that part of a person. Its like men have come up with outward things and rules that they think shows them what's on the inside. This is not possible."

    I too have been feeling ashamed at how I misjudged ppl on their outward appearance and how that since gettig out of the church back in '01...how God has directed me to new places I never would have imagined going. I am a better person now b/c I can look to God and say "is this right? or is this some made up rule that really doesn't excist in Your Eyes?" Anyways...I didn't mean to write you a book. I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts and hope to share more of my in the future on my own blog. Tell Shellie I said "hello". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and my husband have been in and out of churches since we've started our life together, leaving because we saw what their standards was, then learning later that was what they judged everybody else by and not what they actually lived themselves. Disappointing. I can't answer any of your questions because I question just about everything I've ever been taught. We've seen that our background teachings have been so far off the truth we are ginger with anything falling in the category of "religion" now. We like your blog though, because it seems you've experienced like things, and can relate to how we are. My husband in particular. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can say that I understand very much what you are feeling and writting. I have experienced the so-called standard that they expect to you live and when you fall short they condemn you, but if it is turned on them they can justify their part. Really enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad,
    Thought these lyrics were good

    Amazed by Building 429:

    Who am I
    23 and it’s all a lie
    Thought I knew who I was
    I thought that You were here with me

    But this darkness is breaking
    Everything in me
    These infinite questions
    Have shattered all the peace

    But I won’t question in the dark
    What is true out in the light
    I will follow after You
    Through the sun and through the night

    Cause You’ve got me
    Right where You want me
    Yeah You’ve got me
    Right where I need to be
    And I’m standing amazed

    Where did it go
    33 and it’s gone so fast
    Thought I knew who I was
    I though that You were leading me

    But this depression is
    Crashing in on me
    And I’m not half the man
    Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com
    I hoped I’d be

    But I won’t question in the dark
    What is true out in the light
    I will follow after You
    Through the storm and through the fight

    Cause You’ve got me
    Right where You want me
    Yeah You’ve got me
    Right where I need to be
    And I’m standing amazed

    But I won’t question in the dark
    What is true out in the light
    I will follow after You
    Through the storm and through the fight

    Cause You’ve got me
    Right where You want me
    Yeah You’ve got me
    Right where I need to be
    And I’m standing amazed

    You’ve got me right where I want to be
    You’ve got me right where I need to be
    And I’m standing amazed

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I said on my blog today, people continuing on thinking that God is blessing their church when they have cut off others who don't agree with their standard are blind. We have got to look to God each day and aim for what He has asked us to do. It may be a process of time till we actually achieve what he wants us to. What he is looking at is our hearts to see if we are honestly trying to work at it or just making excuses for ourself because we don't want to or don't intend to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "common people" loved Jesus. He was tender, compassionate and full of mercy. The ones I remember Him getting really angry with were the "religious" leaders. These were the ones who made up rules for everyone else but didn't live by them themselves.

    I have learned (and unlearned) so much in the last few years. One thing I no longer do is consign people to hell that I do not even know simply because they dress differently from me or they do not attend where I do. I have definitely found Freedom in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came across your blog today. Great thoughts. Like ourselves, I am thankful to see that others are seeking to have a deeper experience with God and to know the true character of God.

    It is true that we were brought up in a religious environment that has contributed to many of our false ideas about who God really is and what He is all about. I am thankful to be free from such an environment.

    I also have had to come to grips with many of the same issues you have described. The way I dealt with it was to realize that many of the people were only doing what they were taught to do and that they are innocent products of institutionalized / organized system that God is not the founder of. Others may not be so innocent, but I have forgiven them none the less. When I realize that I too was in err in my thinking and even in my actions, it became easier for me to forgive them. I learned that it is more blessed to forgive than to bereave. :o)

    I look forward to reading and learning more. Know that you are not in this alone. There are many people who are working through these same things. I sense a great move of God in liberating people and preparing them for greater days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make a very important point about forgiveness. I to have forgiven people of things in the past. But I will not stand by for more of the same in the future. I have stood by and watched people being driven over the cliff and not lifting a finger in response, because I was afraid of being out of line. I did not have the courage to speak up and face the music. Back2TheBible said "I sense a great move of God in liberating people and preparing them for greater days ahead." I feel that very thing happening within me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same as you. Rick and I spent too much time being silent, talking and hoping things would get better. We too stood back and watched and even helped at times as people were "driven over the cliff". We are so sorry for that and wished we had gotten away sooner and been more vocal. But I am thankful for the liberating that is taken place with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree with you about not keeping silent. Since we left the Institutionalized Church nearly three years, we have been non-stop in declaring the freedom that is available in Christ and also to point out where the IC is in clear violation of scriptural teaching and principles. Our three websites now have over 177,000 hits. As expected, some people listen and others are not interested. We can reason with people through their thinking, but only God can speak to their hearts. However, we are thankful when we see people being freed from "religion" and becoming focused on having a real, no-holds relationship with Christ.

    ReplyDelete