Old Lighthouse

Old Lighthouse
Outer Banks USA

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gray areas?

    Is life like a stick drawing?  Is everything stark black & white. Some people think so.  It is set in stone that there is no gray area.  When black stops, white starts and thats it.  
    I have been considering this for some time now and was drawn to a sketch my son was working on.  I noticed that some of the sketch wasn't finished.  Some of it looked like the stick figure I mentioned.  It was very black and white. Very flat on the page. Very simple.  As you move up the page, you see an area that looks like it might be finished.  It has many tones of gray in it.  These gray areas make the sketch stand out on the page. It feels like you could reach out and pick it off of the page.  Why do we resist letting others have there "Gray areas."  It seems that even when some gray is permitted in our lives we look around to make sure our "gray" lines up with everyone else's "gray"  Is this how it is supposed to be?  Did God make all of us so different from each other for us to turn around and put people into molds that makes them all the same?  I think It is very possible that God likes different.  He sure likes color.  Look around and try to explain why God would make everything so complex and colorful.  
I just have a hard time thinking that god would do that and then have people put these same colorful people into a black & white, stick figure mold.  I know, that person's gray is not the same shade or size as yours.  So what!  Have you ever considered that it might be OK.  
    Just like when you drive by that house being built down the road.  No, you wouldn't build it like that or paint it that color.  Would you consider talking to the builder and trying to make him see that you have a house down the road and he needs to come take a look.  Would you tell him that because the style of his so called house does not match yours, so it is not considered a house in your mind?  No. We live with the fact that they like there house like it is. That doesn't effect our home.  
   Why can't we do the same thing with peoples personal relationship with God.  Yes if you see someone making a major mistake that matters like the structure (Salvation.) stop and offer some insight in the proper manner.  If it is just the siding style or color please keep driving.  There is no good to come from you interjecting your opinion at this time.  No it doesn't make you look smart or wise, It just makes you look like you are trying to stuff them in your mold.

5 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. THanks for sharing. And yes, it is amazing all the colors and complex images God has created around us and in us. :o)

    As for my photos, thanks. Sometimes it is hard to capture exactly what I'm seeing. I can't get over how wonderfully the Lord made our world. I wish I couple capture it all in my photos. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights with us. We can all learn and grow through sharing together.

    I like the example you used of the house being built. What a great comparison!

    Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that kind of thinking. Show us where we have come short, but give us help in righting it again, too. Like Abraham Lincoln said (something to the effect of) A man has no right to criticize who will not help to right was he has criticized. Good example about the house structure too. That's something that most could understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't wait till your next post. I looked up compromise. One definition is to maintain an even balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quick note. I wasn't signed into my blog when I left you the previous comment. It automatically picked another account we have.

    ReplyDelete